Pages

Friday, January 17, 2014

Two More Poems

So I have two more poems here.  I think the second one is better but:  they're both pretty neat.


That You Have Trials Too


I never thought until just now
That you had trials too:
Those days that beat upon your flesh.
You trudge the path
Free dragging, shoulders sagging.
The people see an ordinary man:
Dirty plates, the apron,
A meager pocket tip.
--But I see a king.
There's still a fire in your eye
When at day's end you throw the towel,
Turn the key.
Those shoulders square by morning.
That chest houses a lion's strength.
Still, I failed to think that you had trials.
I thought I was the only one
With days that quench my spirit
'ere half of it was run.
People rail against you
For a fault not quite your own.
The biting words, the tip-less table
The thoughtless waste you scrape
Into heaps of filth;
And the bare plates of thanklessness
For your pleasant smile, gentle manner.
All the good about you
Un-noticed, Unappreciated
For their lust of self-fulfillment.
But I see Deity's son
As you bow your head and pray:
Brow knit, lips trembling
In search of words unforgeable.
There's a Life in your spirit
This cesspit does not know.
Their worst tortures cannot break you.
I never thought until just now
That you had trials too.
The ebbing wave is no weaker.
The setting sun burns no less fervently.


This one is a bit more modern and yet, I hope, Poignant.

Mutual Friend


I see we have a mutual friend.
His name is Jesus.  Where did you meet Him?
He sits beside me in church many times.
I take Him with me everywhere.
He is a good friend because He listens a lot.
But I understand that sometimes He wants to talk too.
He says only good things.
We've been friends for many years and never had a fight. --
Well-- there have been times I let Him down;
But He is ALWAYS a good friend to me,
Even when I wasn't ready to apologize.
I see we have a mutual friend.
I can't be jealous really.  It's not like He spends
More time with you than me-- unless you invite Him over more.
He never turns down the invitation and
He'll never leave too early either.
He's so Awesome it's impossible for Him to ever stay too late.
There's no such thing as time when He's around.
He shows me all the coolest things about Himself and His Life.
I always love spending time with my friend Jesus.
Seems you and I both like that.
I see we have a mutual friend.
He's spoken highly of you to me--
Though He never speaks badly of anyone.
I'm sure He's said some pretty nice things about me
Even after I didn't invite Him over for a while last week.
I was just so busy.  But that's just how great He is!
I see we have a mutual friend.
He pointed you out to me in that crowd--
Said you were His son and He loved you.
He thought I might like to get to know you a little.
May I introduce myself?  I see we have a mutual friend.



Thanks for reading.  Leave a comment and let me know what you think of my blog!
Yours,

The Author
Laurisa

No comments:

Post a Comment