Pages

Saturday, September 5, 2015

Romania Trip Day 2



Second day of the trip brought us to the VGR Romanian Library office.

To the believers here, it is their together home.


 It was honestly quite fascinating and humbling to see the produce of what my father and grandfather had been working hard at all of these years.

Can you read the Romanian titles and tell me the names of the sermons?

That day also happened to be Sister MiMi's birthday.  She reminded me a lot of my own grandmother.

Unfortunately, she spoke Romanian, Hungarian, and Russian.  I only spoke English.  So I was able to say very little to her.

I quickly learned the word "pace" (Pronounced: Pach-eh) which means "Shalom, peace" and is both a greeting and farewell among the believers there.

It's too hard to teach an American how to say God Bless you, so they quickly taught us "Pace".

God Bless you is said: "Domnul sa te binecuvanteze"

10 times fast now.

God be with you is said:  "Domnul cu tine."

Mimi' daughter, Sister Mirella and her husband and children came all the way from Sicily to visit.  Sister Mirella worked at the Library for many years before she got married and moved to Sicily.


Look at all of the fine fattening things they served us for Mimi's party!

I liked the olive bread and the vanilla cream crepes (front)



They showed us their photo albums and I found a familiar picture!  My dad must have brought a picture of the recording shack when he went to the VGR Romanian office dedication and opening in 2004.  






My father sharing personal things with his friends.


This brother was in town (having traveled 9 hours with his son and daughter) to visit his other daughter who was injured in the car accident when coming home from the youth camp.  Her face was broken and she would have to come back months later to have the screws removed.  
She was not released from the hospital the next day, so they stayed in town an extra day and fellow-shipped with us.


This was my favorite song that he played- (the opening especially)
They are very good singers but I could not share all of the videos we took.




I took a photo of the pyramid out front lining up with the roof.

It amazed me to finally be in a place I had seen pictures of for so long. ...and so many years later.








It's not the best picture, but it was all I could do without the sun blinding me.











 I thought this was a nice perspective on the pyramid.


Grapes were growing on the gas tanks behind the library.  In Romania, grapes are called "Struguri."  One grape is called "Strugu."


They were very very sweet, delicious grapes.
And they had seeds, just like grapes ought to.

Why buy expensive grapeseed oil when you can just chew up the seeds and swallow them? o.O



















This is the van Brother Joseph rented for Brother Alin to taxi us around in.







 Brother Alin took us to the village where he lives.  There were a few gypsies in the village.
 See how the Romanian folk decorate their gates and houses?

Most of the building are stuccoed.

Anything with brick showing is considered unfinished...
unless of course, they created fancy designs in the brick.
All of the trees have whitewashed trunks in Romania.

They whitewash once a year because it is believed to keep pests from attacking the trees.

We passed many prune trees laden with ripe, purple prunes.  We picked and ate a few and of course, they were very delicious.    
 Here is the village well... with some water abandoned by it.











Gypsies going to town with their horse and wagon.


Here is a Stork's nest, built on a wagon wheel placed on top of a power pole.

I never saw the storks. I thought i was strictly a Holland-sh...thing.


This is where the poor gypsies live.  See their wagon?

I had to zoom and the quality zummed.  :P
Pidgeons on the roof of an unfinished old house.







Gypsy women and their geese.

A very ornate concrete fence

Gypsy goats.  Esmeralda's Djahli??


A gypsy sheepdog

Later that afternoon we were taken to another nice restaurant.



And served platters of Metetae, Schnitzel, and other fine meats

This was from the beginning of the day, taken from the balcony of the hotel room.  Everyday life in Timisoara, Romania

No comments:

Post a Comment